Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Seeing How Good I Am At Taking The Flavor Out Of Beer


Staying in character, I changed the two recipes I have on tap on the morning I was scheduled to hop in the zipcar and head to the LHPS. I realized that I was in effect brewing two very similar styles of beer, both very light American ales, and wanted to mix it up.

The decision, then, was to fold the two planned Cream and Corn recipes into one super light version and then make an attempt at another stout. I searched the internet for a Miller clone and decided to go with something roughly along the lines of 75% two-row, 18% corn and 7% rice. Now the traditional college beers are all lagers, a style I'm not able to brew, but light beer can be made a lot of ways and this will hopefully be one of them.

I was immediately challenged by the brew partner for (1) wanting to make something that was a copy of no-flavor beer, and (2) spending money to make such no-flavor beer when it is readily available in perfection for $11 a case.

My responses, in order:


  1. I have friends who don't like beer, "BMCers" as they are some times called, and it would be interesting to see if I could get them to buy into the whole homebrew thing if I was able to create a light, football tailgate worthy beer.

  2. But that's not the point. Plus at $40 for 50 beers I'm not sure it's really that much more expensive. The $11 cases are a flashback to our upbringings, in places that weren't DC that sold goods at reasonable prices.

Detailed recipe to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment